What is IV Therapy (Intravenous Therapy)
Intravenous therapy (IV therapy) is the administration of fluids, nutrients, electrolytes or medications directly into the bloodstream. This allows the body to have immediate access to these substances, unlike oral administration which results in substantially less absorption. The benefits include increased serum and cellular concentration of highly bioavailable nutrients, and a potentially increased rate of healing.
Prior to receiving an IV, you will need to establish care with one of the providers by scheduling a consult. Recent blood work is required for your first IV to confirm that you are a good candidate. Your doctor may recommend this therapy for various reasons including nutrient deficiency or to aid detoxification from substances such as prescription medications, mold, heavy metals, anesthesia, and others.
Indicated conditions for IV therapy include:
- Chronic infections
- Depressed immune function
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
- Thyroid disorders
- Acute illness (cold/flu)
- Alcohol or drug dependency
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Heavy metal toxicity
- and others as determined by your doctor
At North County Natural Medicine, we offer robust, nutrient-dense formulations customized to your needs. The range of therapeutic options include:
Nutrient Infusions / Immune Support
- This hydrating and nourishing formula replenishes depleted systems by providing your cells with the nutrients they need for optimal function.
Pre / Post Surgery
- Anesthesia and invasive procedures like surgery are intensely stressful on the liver and immune system. This formula is designed to prepare your body for the procedure as well as supply the tools for efficient detoxification.
- We recommend 2 treatments prior and 2 post procedure for optimal effects.
- Please note glutathione pushes are not recommended 5 days or less prior to the procedure.
High Dose Vitamin C
- Enhances immune activity, detoxification pathways, cellular regeneration, and increases antioxidant effects.
- The amount of vitamin C that we can tolerate orally is very low compared to the amount our body can use because vitamin C is an osmotic laxative. IV administration bypasses this and allows for increased intake of this nutrient.
- This option requires G6PD testing prior to initiation. This can be ordered by one of our providers.
- We do not offer high dose vitamin C as adjunctive cancer therapy at this office.
- Nicotinamide Adenosine Dinucleotide is a widely used coenzyme found in every cell of the body. It is crucial for normal metabolism and can boost energy, regenerate and heal cells, aid in addiction recovery, and slow the aging process.
- Every cell in the body has a phospholipid bilayer that is constantly under oxidative stress and biochemical assault. This IV is great at detoxifying at the cellular level by increasing the integrity of this membrane, improving cellular communication, and decreasing oxidative stress.
- It is a key component to many mold and mycotoxin detoxification protocols, including the Patricia Kane protocol.
- Your provider may recommend this for longevity, cardiac health, neurological protection, and keeping the cells young. It is massively useful for liver, nervous and cardiac tissue.
Heavy Metal Chelation
- Chelation therapy pulls heavy metals out of tissues they are stored in and into the bloodstream for elimination through the urine. Bioaccumulation of these is toxic and can lead to serious health concerns.
- Your provider will determine if you are a candidate based on your intake and history. Testing must be done prior to this treatment and is only indicated for patients with elevated heavy metals.
- If your provider suspects mycotoxin exposure, it may be tested for using glutathione as a provoking agent. Similar to heavy metals, mycotoxins may accumulate and cause a wide range of symptoms.
- This treatment is used on testing days only and is a quick push of glutathione in normal saline.
- Glutathione is the body’s master detoxifier, playing a crucial role in every cell. It is essential to mitochondria and in protection from oxidative stress and toxins.
- We offer glutathione as a push at the end of most IVs, or as a stand-alone intramuscular injection. (Learn more about our IM injections)
What is it like to receive an IV?
Receiving an IV is convenient and easy with the average visit lasting 90 minutes. NAD + infusions are an exception and typically last 4-6 hours. We have a comfortable, bright and welcoming IV lounge, access to wifi and complimentary hot tea available. For those desiring privacy, we offer our private casita for a small fee. It is recommended that you eat prior to any infusion and arrive well hydrated.
How do I know if I can receive an IV?
Your doctor will evaluate if you are a candidate for IV therapy, but it is contraindicated for those with impaired kidney function, liver disease, and during pregnancy. Risks include discomfort, bruising or pain at the site of injection, phlebitis, severe allergic reaction or anaphylaxis, cardiac arrest and death. The doctors and staff are fully trained in IV emergency response, and these reactions are very rare.
More about IV options:
Contact us to schedule an IV Consultation today.
Written by Dr. Morgan Monsanto